It’s been quite sometime that I have blogged. I had a blog
earlier where I had documented quite a number of recipes. There was some issue with
my blog and it was lost. I tried my best to revive it. I had to let it go to
avoid stress. I did not have an idea of starting all over again. Since an year,
though I thought of starting, the procrastination disease in me did not allow
me to do so. A friend of mine was behind me to start one and start documenting
my recipes. That was a positive push and I did make up my mind and started it
immediately.
What better would it be than participating in Blogging Marathon?
A wonderful motivation for a person like me. I sent a mail to valli , and she
sweetly accommodated me in. I am
starting my journey all over again with blogging marathon.
Participants are free to choose topics. The early bird gets
the worm. If we fail to get a slot we can choose which is available. I have
chosen soups and salad. I am starting with a soup. We like having soups for
dinner everyday. We usually don’t like having a heavy dinner. We do feast
often, but usually its soup. I chose to make drumstick stem soup as I had never
tried earlier and wanted to try with the stem.
Drumstick tree is known as a miracle tree. Every part of the
tree can be used in cooking. Fresh tender leaves, flowers, tender pods, and
seed-kernels of the tree is edible. Every part is delicious. Drumstick is one
of the favorite among everyone in my family.
I have always relished the leaves so much. I eat the stir fried leaves mixed
with hot rice and ghee. I cook flowers with egg and is very nutritious and
delicious. The pods is cooked in several ways. We can use it in curries or
prepare as a stir fry. Soups are made out of pods as well which is very healthy. It’s
not a news to know that drumstick is highly nutritious and provides so much of
nutrients to the body.
I decided to try the drumstick stem soup. I had not tried
this earlier. But to my surprise it turned out so well that my children also
relished the hot soup .On a rainy evening we all relished this super healthy
soup. Please do give it a try. Its really good for tongue and health.
Ingredients
Drumstick stem – 2 handful
Shallots – 6 no’s
Garlic – 4 no’s
Cumin – 1tsp
Pepper corn – 1 tsp
Butter- 2tsp
Water – 5 cups
Salt – as required
Lemon – quarter to half
Coriander leaves – to garnish
Method
Strip the leaves of the stem. Use the leaves to prepare stir
fry. Use the stem for the soup. You can also add some leaves. I did not add
here.
Wash the stem and cut it into medium sized pieces. I used my
kitchen scissors as I find it easy to cut herbs and few other things with
scissors. You can use the matured stem as well. Not the big branch. The ones
you find it with the leaves can be used.
Crush the stem. I used my favourite motor and pestle. Add 5
cups of water and the stem in the pressure cooker and cook it upto 4 whistles. Put it off and let the steam
go down. Filter and keep it aside.
Crush the shallots and garlic. I like crushed shallots and
garlic in my Indian soup. You can chop if you wish. But crushing induces more
flavour. Crush pepper and cumin as well.
In a pan heat 2tsp of butter. Add cumin and pepper to the
butter. Fry for a min and add the
garlic. Fry and add shallots. Once it has turned pale add the drumstick stem
boiled water. Add salt to taste. Squeeze
in lemon. Let it boil once , sprinkle coriander leaves and serve hot.
Note : You can filter onion and garlic if you don't like it . If you have chopped the shallots and garlic you can have as it is.
Note : You can filter onion and garlic if you don't like it . If you have chopped the shallots and garlic you can have as it is.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM




No comments:
Post a Comment